21 November 2010

A Very Happy Half Birthday.

Tomorrow is Liam's first Half Birthday. The last six months have been absolutely incredible. I am amazed every day at how much this boy changes and grows, and at my own hyper-acute awareness of each new thing about him. I'm also blessed with a wonderful, thoughtful, attractive husband who happily changes the dirtiest diapers and mops the floors on his hands and knees. Together we're happily settling in to the serial ups and downs of parenting. 

For selfish reasons I've decided that Half Birthdays should to be celebrated in much the same way that Whole Birthdays are, at least for the first few years of the child's life. A gift, a cupcake (not this year of course), maybe a party hat... the general festivities of birthdays, twice a year. Since he's not old enough for cake yet, Liam's Half Birthday will consist of spending the day with Mommy and his new Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Learning Puppy.

You may be wondering what my selfish reasons are for giving him this wonderful experience.  Well, as you can plainly see Liam was born in May. He came five weeks early on the Saturday we were planning to begin packing up our tiny one-bedroom flat to move into a much larger three-bedroom home. What you don't see is that my husband's birthday is in May as well. In fact their birthdays are only eight days apart. So, naturally they'll get to celebrate their birthdays together. I figure if I institute the Half Birthday ritual now, I'll be able to share my November Whole Birthday with Liam's and Lane's November Half Birthdays, and they'll be able to share their May Whole Birthday's with Mommy's May Half Birthday!

Who knows, maybe this newly forming tradition will stick and the children of my children will have the pleasure of celebrating their Half Birthdays too... who doesn't like more cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment