11 January 2011

Snow Daze

Sunday night and early Monday morning, nearly eight inches of snow fell on Chattanooga. With the university closed and many local roads almost impassable there simply is no better excuse for spending time baking homemade cookies and snuggling up with my boys. So, after great success with a slow-cooked beef stew recipe involving butternut squash, I decided I'd try a couple more cookie recipes from 1001 Ways to Cook Southern.

I'm impressed with both recipes.

The first was a peanut butter cookie prepared without butter or flour. Surprised? I was. But, I was even more surprised by the simplicity of the recipe and overall lack of ingredients in general (only four total). The final product is a chewy, rich, peanut-buttery cookie that pairs perfectly with a glass of milk. Best to let them cool completely before indulging, as they will crumble to pieces if you try to eat them straight from the oven.

The second was giant oatmeal-spice cookie, and man did this cookie knock my socks off. With rolled oats, toasted pecans, golden raisins, a wide variety of spices (including clove), and more dark brown sugar than I have ever used in one cookie recipe, this one beats every other oatmeal cookie I have ever made. I didn't make drop the batter by the quarter-cup full as the recipe suggested, instead I made slightly smaller scooped slightly smaller portions for a higher yield. Doing so has allowed me to freeze some of the dough so that I can bake more fresh and delicious cookies later, without creating another pile of dirty dishes.

Now to figure out what to make for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment