15 December 2010

I'm tormenting myself.

The holidays are swift approaching but, dare I say, they can't get here soon enough.

Inspired by a good friend, I decided to curb my general over-consumption of sugar until we make it to Michigan, where I will briefly allow myself to resume with said over-consumption until the first of the year. It's been about a week and I've done fairly well (until today). Once we turn our calendars to 2011 my permanent move toward responsible sugar fiend begins. For now, I need the hiatus to give my body a break from the constant barrage of mostly homemade sweet treats before the real festivities commence. But man-oh-man how I do miss all my delectable little goodies.

So tonight, as I've completed all the grading for this semester's end, I'm dreaming of the dancing candies and cookies and pies of this year's holiday season. I'm tormenting myself with a small Rombauer volume dedicated to the bliss of Christmas cookies and writing my international wish list.

What's on it? You wonder. Well, ask and you shall receive...

Pfeffernusse, Viennese Crescents, Chocolate-Dipped Mandelbretzeln, and Pastelitas de Boda (better known to Americans as Mexican Wedding Cakes). All dainty little snacks to be served with a rich and delicious French Hot Chocolate.

Since our holidays will be spent in kitchens other than my own, I'm not sure just how much of this list will materialize. But rest assured, there are cookies in my future.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment